Thursday, June 11, 2015

Reflective Writing II

Migration & Cultural Diversity and Human Rights

This paper has taught me a lot about culture and society, in a context of greater scope that I thought I had already known and existed to be true. By engaging through this particular assignment of group work, and reflecting on past assignments, I believe that concepts associated with the study of sociology has enabled me to critically think about the society and culture we live in today insightfully. Migration and cultural diversity and human rights are concepts that have pin pointed these very notions.


Through the group presentation I obtained the knowledge that migration and cultural diversity are detrimental factors in gaging a full understanding of the broad concepts of culture and society. More importantly, the issues articulated by migration and cultural diversity has evolved in understanding these concepts. Ryan (2010) states that culture becomes visible when we travel to other countries or to other cultures. After this group project, I have a greater understanding of migration and cultural diversity and the impact it has on migrants being in a new environment. For example, we discussed the ‘culture shock’ that immigrants endure that ranges from family dynamics and the typical migrant employment experience. Dow, H.D. (2011) presented the idea that immigrants feel a sense of culture shock through a number of ways that impacts their engagement in the culture and society of their new environment. Thus, increasing the struggle of adaptation and the struggle of immigrants to inhabit social competence. In my understanding, migration fits in to this notion that different social backgrounds evolves a person to be who they are and has created the diversity that exists within our multicultural society.

Learning how to adjust to different societal norms and cultures is difficult when immigrants experience a complicated procedure such as migration. To learn the internal culture of others, and to make integration more effective, actively participating in this culture will aid in uncovering the values and beliefs that underlie the behaviour of this society (Hall, 1976). However, we learnt that this proves to be very difficult for migrants.


Migration and cultural diversity is important to me in the aspect that it reinforces my personal values and beliefs based on fair equality for all people from different and diverse backgrounds based on my personal Christian beliefs. As a first generation born New Zealander my immediate and wider family are immigrants. The concept is relatively close to me in this context that I identify myself with immigration one way or another; perhaps not as a direct immigrant, but my origin homeland is somewhere else and this is very much part of my identity and who I am. To reflect on the experiences that immigrants face I believe, theoretically speaking, if I was a recipient of the treatment immigrants generally receive I feel like this would impact my ability to be competent in a society that perpetuates an inclusive society and hardship. By doing this assignment, I learnt that people hold different perceptions on migrants and the way they ought to be treated. Personally, as a member of society this is of a nature that a reasonable citizen should not be expected to bear without exemptions of discrimination based on race, social status and economic differences.


Upon beginning this paper, I thought that I knew everything about human rights, and aware of the negligence of such a vital concept in almost every country somewhere, somehow. However, human rights is much more extensive than I had anticipated looking at the full article and applying it as a concept to our assignments, especially to the photo board assignment. The vast ways that other students applied their view on a human rights perspective today was interesting, and suggested that we all shared a commonality of thought and behaviour in terms of what we see as a breach of a human right, and what we know and recognise (Ryan, 2010). For instance, growing up in New Zealand some of us may recognise that oppressing women is wrong and stand strongly against it; we believe to acknowledge this as a ‘wrong’ due to the culture we are exposed to. However, in other parts of the world women rights are not greatly emphasised due to their own culture, and may not be recognised as an issue.


This concept is fundamental in a greater understanding of migration and cultural diversity. Immigrants are continually suppressed to conditions of economic hardship and social discrimination, even within New Zealand. These acts violate Article 22 and 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (United Nations, n.d.), as they have every right to be a member of society and enjoy the economic advantages that host countries ultimately can provide for immigrants in search of a better life and living conditions.  Through the engagement of this paper, I have obtained a greater and insightful understanding of human rights in the aspect that its negligence is a common factor in societies globally, despite its development.


The theme of migration and cultural diversity and human rights can be approached by disciplines in similar but different ways; through the social sciences disciplines an approach of migration and cultural diversity is through a sociological and analytical point of view. Anderson, Taylor & Logio (2015) state that sociology looks at the way of thinking about society and its influence on human groups. For example, personal experiences of immigrants, domestically and internationally, was pinpointed and the impacts it has on themselves and society holistically. In the same way, human rights can serve as a social structure in the sense that it is ought to shape human behaviour and the way in which we treat others. Retrospectively during the symposium the discipline of Hospitality approached the concept in terms of the influence that migration and cultural diversity has on specific social perspectives; examining how much social interaction implements through everyday courses of work, through food and beverage.


For myself as a law student this paper was incredibly insightful. It has provided me with appropriate and relevant knowledge on conceptual themes that I can apply throughout my law degree and also my life in general. I appreciate people more in the sense that society and culture do mean more than just learning about people, race and cultural interaction but focusses on a variety of aspects that fully grasp the knowledge of how and why society is shaped the way it is. I enjoyed sharing my perspective with others in this paper, and more importantly seeing how they are similar yet different to others. From the photo board to the last reflective assignment, my knowledge and appreciation for social awareness has flourished.


Word count: 1183


References

Anderson, M. L., Taylor, H. F., & Logio, K. A. (2015). Sociology the essentials. United States: Cengage Learning.

Dow, H. D. (2011). An overview of stressors faced by immigrants and refugees: A guide for mental health practitioners. Home Health Care Management & Practice, 23(3), 210-217. doi:10.1177/1084822310390878

Ryan, M. (2010). Preface. In Cultural studies: A practical introduction. Hoboken: Wiley, pp.viii-xii.

United Nations. (n.d.). The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Retrieved June 11th, 2015, from http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a1
















































No comments:

Post a Comment